You might never have considered volunteering at a harvest before, but if you’re a little outdoorsy it could be just the experience you’re looking for.
Arriving a little earlier than usual this season after a glorious summer, harvest season is just a few short weeks away as vineyards scramble to get the grapes off the vine as ripe as possible before Autumn.
Volunteering at harvest is a time-honoured tradition in most of the wine-producing world. You can look forward to leafy, sun-dappled fields of vines, cheerful camaraderie with workers and fellow volunteers, and maybe even a glass of the local wine and a hearty lunch. You’ll be shown the ropes on the day – once you know where to cut the stem, you’re set.
We reached out to our members to find out who’s in need of extra hands this season and how to get involved. Read on to find out if there are any opportunities near you. We’ve picked out a select few here – a more comprehensive list can be found at WineCellarDoor.co.uk.
- Chet Valley Vineyard; firstname.lastname@example.org; 01508 333002; Loddon road, Bergh Apton, Norfolk, NR15 1BT
- Melbury Vale Vineyard; email@example.com; 01747 854206; The Winery; Melbury Vale Vineyard; Foots Hill; Cann; Shaftesbury SP7 0BW
- Kerry Vale Vineyard; firstname.lastname@example.org; 01588 620627; Kerry Vale Vineyard; Pentreheyling; Shropshire; SY15 6HU
- Hencote Vineyard; email@example.com; Hencote, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY4 3AA
- Rothley Wine Estate; firstname.lastname@example.org; 0116 2375168; Kingfishers Pool Vineyard, 43 Westfield Lane, Rothley, Leicestershire. LE7 7LH
- Welland Valley Vineyard; email@example.com; 07989 091721
- Davenport Vineyards; firstname.lastname@example.org; 01892852380; Horsmonden Vineyard, Hazel Street Farm, Horsmonden, Kent TN12 8EF
- Plumpton College Wine Estate; email@example.com; 01273 892018
- Davenport Vineyards; firstname.lastname@example.org; 01892852380; Limney Farm, Castle Hill, Rotherfield, East Sussex TN6 3RR