Introducing the Midlands & North
Cheshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Herefordshire, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire, Roxburghshire, Rutland, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Tyne and Wear, Warwickshire, West Midlands and Yorkshire
Chairman: Ian Sargeant
Welcome to what is geographically the largest of the UK wine producing regions, stretching from Northamptonshire in the South to Scotland in the North and spanning right across from East (north of the Wash) to West between. We’ve got great wines, great characters behind the wines and when you are able, great vineyards to visit. There’s lots to explore! Enjoy the videos some of our winemakers are posting for our focus on Midlands & North for #EnglishWineNight - and enjoy a glass of wine too!
- There are over 100 vineyards in the region and more than 20 vineyards in Yorkshire alone, 9 of them fully commercial. Midlands and North is the largest region in the WineGB network and accounts for 6% of the UK wine production.
- The region produces both still and sparkling, but one of the notable wines is North Star, a multi international award-winning dessert wine by Eglantine Vineyard.
- The oldest vineyards are Welland Valley Vineyard, in Market Harborough Leicestershire, and Eglantine Vineyard, in Loughborough, Nottinghamshire’s oldest commercial vineyard Est. 1979. Both were the regional association’s founders!
- Laneberg Wine’s winery is the most northerly one
- Halfpenny Green can bottle in excess of 500,000 bottles a year
- Grove Estate Vineyard based at Eccleshall is twinned with Sancerre
DON’T FORGET TO TUNE IN!:
Instagram – Twitter – Facebook – YouTube
- At 7pm each Friday log on to Instagram, Twitter or Facebook, follow the activity by using the hashtag #EnglishWineNight
- Take photos or even a video to share your enjoyment of English or Welsh wines
- Feel free to post and share your photo/video
- Feel free to ask questions or start a conversation with other live followers. Team WineGB and winemakers will be online throughout the hour to respond and join in the conversation
- Open and enjoy some English or Welsh wine! Search for a local vineyard or retailer – many are listed on our SHOP LOCAL listings page that highlights where you can order wines online that can be delivered to your door
- Remember to tag all posts with hashtag #EnglishWineNight plus @WineGB (Instagram/Facebook), @Wine_GB (Twitter). We’ll be reposting any posts we are tagged in
- You will be able to view all the videos via our YouTube channel