Introducing Thames & Chilterns
Oxfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, London West
Meet the Chair: Bob Nielsen
of Brightwell Vineyard, Wallingford
About the Region
Thames & Chilterns region covers the counties of Oxfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and includes three Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty: the North Wessex Downs, the Cotswolds and the Chiltern Hills, with the Thames river flowing through the heart of the region.
There are over 25 vineyards in the region, producing all styles of wine. Still white, red and rose and sparkling wines, that have been exported across the world.
- The oldest vineyard is Bothy Vineyard, at over 40 years old
- The newest Vineyard is Kidmore Vineyard (not yet in full production)
Notable competition wins:
- Harrow and Hope – WineGB Winery of the year in 2019
- Fairmile Vineyard - Fairmile Vineyard's maiden vintage beat highly distinguished and long-established vineyards to be voted England's only Outstanding sparkling white wine by Decanter wine and lifestyle magazine (Jan 2020)
- Alder Ridge Vineyard - 2014 Blanc de Noirs won a coveted Gold Medal at the WineGB Awards 2019, and were further stunned to go on to be awarded a trophy and title for the “Best in Class in Great Britain”
- Chafor Wine Estate - Berkshire & Buckinghamshire Life Food & Drink Producer of the Year Award 2015
Vineyards in The Thames & Chilterns Region usually hold an English Wine & Food Festival at Brightwell Vineyard, Wallingford, OX10 8LJ, where members of the public will have the unique opportunity to taste, compare and buy award-winning local wines in one beautiful location. The event allows visitors to meet winemakers, growers and a Master of Wine specialising in English wines and learn more about the grape varieties that do well in our climate and grow successfully in the region.
Unfortunately, due to the current situation, this year’s event has been cancelled, so instead why not join in with #EnglishWineNight with a bottle or two from one of our fantastic producers!
DON’T FORGET TO TUNE IN!:
Instagram – Twitter – Facebook – YouTube
- At 7pm each Friday log on to Instagram, Twitter or Facebook, follow the activity by using the hashtag #EnglishWineNight
- Take photos or even a video to share your enjoyment of English or Welsh wines
- Feel free to post and share your photo/video
- Feel free to ask questions or start a conversation with other live followers. Team WineGB and winemakers will be online throughout the hour to respond and join in the conversation
- Open and enjoy some English or Welsh wine! Search for a local vineyard or retailer – many are listed on our SHOP LOCAL listings page that highlights where you can order wines online that can be delivered to your door
- Remember to tag all posts with hashtag #EnglishWineNight plus @WineGB (Instagram/Facebook), @Wine_GB (Twitter). We’ll be reposting any posts we are tagged in
- You will be able to view all the videos via our YouTube channel