Avon, Cornwall, Devon, Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Somerset, Worcestershire
Meet the Chair: Guy Smith
of Smith and Evans
How do you categorise the uncategorisable?
“There are many prestigious vineyards in the South West run by passionate people making great wines that regularly win multiple awards including UK Winemaker of the year, UK Wine of the year and Worlds Best Sparkling Rose. We have a huge range of soils that are perfect for world class wine making but because many of our vineyards are small family run concerns, we don’t necessarily get the same attention as some of the big names elsewhere”.
About the Region
- There are 82 Vineyard and Wine Producer members.
- A key characteristic of the West is diversity, both in wines; anything from Classic Sparkling wines to an eclectic range of white, rose, red and bit of orange in between
- ...and terroir with the warm climate and a huge range of soils.
- Many of the founders of the renaissance of English wine were based in the West and are still going strong; Three Choirs, Wraxall, Camel Valley and Oatley for example.
- The only English vineyard which is a Royal Warrant holder is Camel Valley in Cornwall who have won pretty much every prize going!
- The majority of vineyards are family owned and run businesses with many now into the second generation in wine making.
DON’T FORGET TO TUNE IN!:
Instagram – Twitter – Facebook – YouTube
- At 7pm each Friday log on to Instagram, Twitter or Facebook, follow the activity by using the hashtag #EnglishWineNight
- Take photos or even a video to share your enjoyment of English or Welsh wines
- Feel free to post and share your photo/video
- Feel free to ask questions or start a conversation with other live followers. Team WineGB and winemakers will be online throughout the hour to respond and join in the conversation
- Open and enjoy some English or Welsh wine! Search for a local vineyard or retailer – many are listed on our SHOP LOCAL listings page that highlights where you can order wines online that can be delivered to your door
- Remember to tag all posts with hashtag #EnglishWineNight plus @WineGB (Instagram/Facebook), @Wine_GB (Twitter). We’ll be reposting any posts we are tagged in
- You will be able to view all the videos via our YouTube channel