Wine producers in England and Wales are able to apply for Protected Designation of Origin (PDO), Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) or Varietal Wine certification.
PDO and PGI designations are European Union indicators of quality and authenticity in terms of regional origin or traditional production. The wines that qualify have met certain requirements for their technical analysis and have passed an organoleptic assessment (a formal tasting).
Wines produced in the county of Sussex are able to apply for a separate Sussex designation, currently ‘Sussex Quality Wine’ pending final approval of the Sussex PDO scheme by the European Commission.
DEFRA Guidance Document for PDO and PGI Schemes
The following documents detail the individual scheme rules. If you have any questions or need help with applications please contact the Wine Scheme Manager at email@example.com.
How to apply for PDO or PGI (for use by English and Welsh wine producers)
Applications for the PDO or PGI wine schemes are online. To access the online application system please click the button below:
- This is available to both members of WineGB and non-members
- You will need to register to use the system
- All applications will need to be paid for online at time of submission
- Please note: it is no longer possible to submit paper applications for PDO and PGI (the Varietal Wine Scheme remains a paper-based application – see below).
- Guidance notes for the application process along with scheme rules are available to download from the online system front page
How to apply for Varietal Registration
For Varietal Wine Scheme applications please use this form:
The completed form should be submitted by email. Full instructions, including for payment, are included on the form.
Guide to Wine Labelling
List of wines with PDO or PGI status
A list of wines assessed prior to the introduction of the online system can be found here: PDO PGI list up to July 2017.
The list of wines assessed since the introduction of the online system are shown below. Note that this list is searchable and can be filtered. It can also be sorted by clicking on the column headings to make it easier to find specific entries.
|Type||App No||Approved Date||Owner||Wine Name||Region||Vintage||Style||Colour|