Regulations apply to quality standards for different types of wine, their labelling, record keeping, and the necessary documentation for moving wine, registering growers, licences for winemakers, retailers and wholesalers, as well as the requirement for traders to ensure that documentation accompanying wine is correct.

The information and links below provide you with guidelines and signposting, but it is your responsibility to ensure you are complying with all relevant regulations, licences and legal requirements of the enforcing bodies and organisations.


The FSA enforces EU wine laws in the UK through its Wine Standards Branch (WSB), with which UK vineyards must register.



Registering a vineyard:

All vineyards larger than 0.1 hectares in size must be registered. Smaller vineyards must also be registered if they operate commercially. The wine regulations specify the data which must be gathered, including the area of the vineyard and the areas for different vine varieties grown.  Please use this form:  wsb13_vineyard_registration_form

Local authorities issue licences for trading in wine and check that trading standards legislation is not being broken.

Transporting grapes: 

All consignments of grapes travelling more than 40km (approximately 25 miles) by road for contract winemaking or crop sales need to complete form -  WSB15 Commercial Accompanying Document

De-acidification and enrichment of wine (and acidification) 

For producers in the UK, de-acidification and enrichment of wine is subject to permitted limits and Wine Standard must be informed about these processes.  The producer must keep accurate winery records detailing all winemaking processes and subsequent bottling records. Winery records and accompanying documents must be kept for at least five years.

The use of the Winery Record form (WSB20 ) is not compulsory. If you wish to use your own system, which may be electronic or paper-based, you should ensure that you include the information set out in the Winery Record, especially with regard to the requirements of the l Wine Schemes.


Winemakers must notify their local Wine Standards  inspector 48 hours in advance of production, using form WSB10 Notification of enrichment . They must also record the enrichment process on the day of operation.

Enrichment Conversion Table - This chart, issued by Wine Standards, can be used when checking sugar additions and details numerous addition scales from 16.5g/L for whites to 19g/L for reds.  Wine Standards encourage producers to verify the final alcoholic strength of their wines by way of an independent accredited post-bottling analysis.


When wine is de-acidified (but not grape must, whether or not in fermentation), producers should complete the form  WSB14 De-acidification and return it to Wine Standards to arrive no later than the second day after the first operation has taken place.


This is not permitted under normal growing conditions for Zone A (UK) and authorisation is needed from DEFRA in order to acidify.   Therefore the statement in the PDO/PGI regulations indicating that “Acidification of cuvées intended for the preparation of English Quality Sparkling Wine is permitted up to a maximum of 1.5g/l, expressed as tartaric acid” is only allowed with Defra authorisation.  WineGB can apply to Defra for authorisation if required by producers. Please let Jo Cowderoy know   [REGULATION (EU) No 1308-2013 ]

For full regulations on enrichment and de-acidification see: The EU Wine Regulations (REGULATION (EU) No 1308/2013 ANNEX VIII OENOLOGICAL PRACTICES REFERRED TO IN ARTICLE 80 part 1 'Enrichment, acidification and de-acidification in certain wine-growing zones').

Production declaration: 

Under the Wine Regulations it is a statutory requirement that all wine producers make Annual Production Returns to Wine Standards using form WSB 21. Completed form(s) must reach Wine Standards no later than 15 January 2019.

NB Producers who send part of their own harvest to another producer, for winemaking through the sale of grapes or for contract making should use form WSB21b Production Declaration (Other Uses). It should also be used when grapes are sold, despatched under contract or treated at the winery for uses other than winemaking, especially grape juice.   Please make sure that this form, when completed, is sent with the relevant WSB 21.

WSB12 (Harvest declaration) is no longer required by Wine Standards.

If you have any problems, please contact your local Wine Standards Inspector  -  Inspectors contacts 2018

Labelling wine:

Wine Standards - Still Wines Labelling Guide

Wine Standards - Sparkling Wines Labelling Guide


Visit the FSA website